24 May 2005

Homeland Security - not exactly effective in this case

So we went down to a federal building in a major city today... (I'll save the exact building the embarrassment, and save me from an FBI visit) Of course like most fed buildings it has a security staff, screening for dangerous items, etc.

The baggage/purse xray checker was broken (not uncommon I hear). Not a big issue, I thought, they'll just hand screen everyone. I had a messenger bag with paperwork and my wife had a large purse with paperwork for our business there.

The screener/officers took our keys, shoes, belt buckles, etc into the little pans for metal items, we walked through the "walking" scanner. They asked several times about camera phones. They didn't check my bag, but made me go back to my car with my camera phone. THEY DIDN'T CHECK EITHER OF OUR BAGS, the bags didn't go through metal detectors, they didn't go thru the x-ray machine, but they asked several times about CAMERA PHONES.

I can't figure out why a camera phone would be a bigger security issue than some other dangerous item??? Anything could have been in my bag. Presumably, a camera phone could be used to capture photos that could help plan some sort of attack on the facility... but I could have had a freakin' Nikon with a flash and foldable tripod in my bag... they didn't check. Much less something more dangerous.

These guys really need to get their priorities straight. Security isn't just a word, it's not just a bunch of rules to follow, it's strict procedures, it's thinking on your feet, it's combing through anything that could be a danger. These guys really need to think about how important their job is and focus on helping people not just following rules.

Am I the only concerned American with a freakin' brain seeing this? Any similar experiences?

No comments: